Can i delete video from the following folders?

edited August 2016 in General
A pleasant day to all....

I have the following questions/clarifications below:
1. can i delete videos inside "temp" and "Theora" folder?
2. Under "H264" and "mobile" folder, I noticed two video with the same name and file size, can i delete also one of it?

note: reason for doing so is that, i'm running out of disk space.

Thanks
Jung
H264 screenshot.PNG
718 x 554 - 103K

Comments

• The video file in H264 is used for desktop viewing while the video file in the mobile folder is for mobile viewing. If you have "mobile enabled" - as it sounds like you have - you will need that video in both locations.

The video file in Theora is there since you have Theora enabled in your video encoding settings. If you do not want these files, you will need to disable Theora after which you can delete the Theora files.

The video in the temp folder is the original video that was uploaded. You can delete it, but once you do, you will no longer have a backup copy of the original video. So if you need to re-encode it at some later point in time, you may not be able to.

So in short ..

H264 - should not be deleted
    mobile - should not be deleted
    theora - can be deleted if you disable theora encoding
    temp - can be deleted

Looking at your screenshot by the way, I see a lot of _temp.mp4 files. Those should not be there. Those are only created temporarily while re-encoding the uploaded videos and should be automatically deleted once the encoding process is done. So there is an issue of sorts somewhere. I recommend you look through your various log files to see if you can identify the problem.
  • @greenmotion,

Good morning.

Can i delete the "_temp.mp4" files inside "mobile and H264" folders?
    Thank you so much.
  • I will post the logfiles once done with the uploading of 272MB video. Is it Okay based on your experience that uploading 272MB will take around 9hours to finish? I'm using HP proliant DL380p Gen 8 server. Thanks.
  • @greenmotion,

Good afternoon.

Please find attached logs and kindly evaluate what is the missing configuration why the _temp.mp4 was not automatically been deleted after encoding process.

What i did was delete it manually from H264 and mobile folder.

Thanks in advance.
    log
    log
    converter.log
    log
    log
    8CUhB3taJpeMRARX8IuD.log
  • 272MB 9 Hours to finish? Wow, that is a long time.

There are two aspects to uploading a video.

1) the actual upload
    2) the conversion

If the actual upload takes a long time, you obviously have network contention and may need a faster link.

If the actual processing takes a long time; that all depends on the horse power of your machine, but 9 hours seems excessive.

I am uploading files Gigabytes in size and the longest processing I've ever encountered is 30 mins or so. This is on a Dell Blade Server. How many CPU cores are available to your OS? Are you running this inside a VM on your server, or straight on the hardware?

Try adding the following to your encoding options and try again:

-threads 0

Regarding the _temp files not getting deleted; I think you may stumble over file permissions issues. Make sure that the entire cumulus folder is read/writable by the process running your Apache webserver.
  • Good morning @greenmotion

Yes 9 hour. maybe because webM and Theora encoding are enabled? but now uploading was reduced to 1 hour after disabling webM and Theora.

I'm running it inside VM on my server with 6cores and 16GB RAM.

In what particular encoding should i insert the "-threads 0"?

This is the H.264 encoding option:
    -vcodec libx264 -vf "scale=min(640\,iw):trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -vb 800k -acodec aac -ab 96k -ar 44100 -f mp4

should i put it like the below?

-vcodec libx264 -vf "scale=min(640\,iw):trunc(ow/a/2)*2" -vb 800k -acodec aac -ab 96k -ar 44100 -f mp4 -threads 0

Sorry for the noob question.

Thank you so much.
  • Files under Temp folder are now automatically been deleted after each process and likewise the _temp.mp4 file recorded under H.264 and mobile folder was gone.
  • You should be able to put -threads 0 anywhere .. your example looks good. Try it!
  • Thanks a lot GreenMotion.
This discussion has been closed.