Anti-Spam Measures?

edited December 2011 in Feature Requests
Hi Damian,

first of all nice script! :)

Just starting to feel my way around it, and experiment a little.

I have been around various video scripts for a few years, and one the biggest problems at the moment with video sharing scripts is spam - spam registration, spam comments and spam video uploads.

At present this spam takes two forms. The first are bots, and the second are sweat-shop human spammers(pretty big at the moment).

From experience, I would suggest that you probably need to include some form of antispam measures.

You might want to consider:

1. The ability to turn off registrations in the Dashboard
2. Maybe Recaptcha on the registration form
3. Maybe a challenge question
4. Maybe an email check against something like StopForumSpam
5. Maybe cut and paste in editor (I know it inconveniences users, but it also slows spammers down

Just throwing up a couple thoughts for consideration, as keeping the spammers out without some countermeasures is a full-time task.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Hello,

Thank you for your feedback. We were actually already considering some of the items you mentioned above more specifically 1, 2, and 3. The 4th & 5th items you mentioned seem interesting but we'll probably leave those to the community to develop as plugins.

Also, did you notice that you can turn "Auto-Approve" users, comments, and videos "Off". This will cause these items to be approved by an admin before being displayed to the public. I know it's not exactly what you're referring to but it's a start.

Again, thanks for your feedback, and I'm glad to see you're giving our script a try. Let us know when you have a finished product we would love to see it!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Damian,

thanks for responding. It is nice to know you are looking at antispam measures.

Yes, I saw the "auto-approve" feature. I like that, but I am looking at it from an admin perspective.

As a site grows in popularity, it takes more and more time to manually moderate all content. If users are vetted at the point of registration it reduces the amount of manual moderation. Just a personal perspective, as I have few sites and like to focus on content, rather than admin. Hope, you know what I mean.

Thanks again, for a great script!
  • Hi Damian,

just looking at the comment system. Might have missed something, as I am only new to the script, but the comment section appears to be open to the public for comment.

I saw the comment moderation in the dash board, but the comment form appears to pretty open to spammers. Is there currently a way to restrict comments to members?
  • edited December 2011
    Yes you are correct. The comment forms are open to the public. Again, back to what we discussed earlier where we will be implementing some additional security features in the future.

That feature (disabling public comments and locking them down only to registered users) is currently in development and will be added in one of the upcoming releases either 1.2 or 1.3 (We're currently at 1.1). Both of these releases are planned for January 2012.

When they're ready, your install of CumulusClips will detect them and prompt you to update itself automatically.
  • Hi Damian,

thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. Appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.